Be certain of your physical abilities and limitations before attempting any yoga pose, and seek clearance from your physician if you are uncertain. Always respect your body and know your limits.
- Inhale, sitting with legs stretched forward, bend the left knee and put the foot actively on the floor, bring it in as far as possible.
- Exhale, keeping the right leg strong and on the floor with the foot flexed, and lengthen the spine pulling the navel into the abdomen, in preparation for the twist.
- Inhale, reaching right arm upward.
- Exhale, twisting toward left leg, reaching right arm around bent knee while taking left arm behind back to interlace fingers.
- Inhale, slightly releasing the twist, then with an exhale if desired, deepen the twist on each exhale, pulling the navel in for back support.
- Remembering to keep the spine extented from the pelvic bone through the top of the head, turning the head slightly placing a twist in the cervical spine.
- Hold pose 3 to 5 breaths or as long as comfortable.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
Modification, Variations and Contraindications for Sage Marichi III Pose, Yoga Marichyasana III Pose: If hands do not reach, place the left hand on floor behind the left hip, rotate your torso to the left and press your right arm at the elbow, into the left knee. Spinal rotation is challenged and caution should be used for yogis with back or spinal issues. Caution should also be used for yogis with shoulder, elbow or wrist issues.
Congratulations on learning "Dedicated to the Sage Marichi III Pose, Yoga Marichyasana III Pose".